Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sept. 21, 2105 - Back to the Basics

Caguas District

Painting!

Sisters Stevens and Allan

With a few branch members
Hello familia! I'm trying to decide if I should talk about transfers now or make you wait to the end to find out..... haha, no I'll just start with it. So... I'm staying here in Aguas Buenas! Hermana Stevens is leaving to be an Hermana Entrenadora in Toa Baja and my new companion is going to be Hermana Pardo from Columbia. I secretly was hoping for a Latin companion right out of training so I'm really excited! Wahoo! We change on Tuesday, so that will be fun. :)

Anways, other than that, this week was pretty normal. We walked and taught and walked some more, etc. I also got to paint a room for the first time! We got to paint a baby's room for one of the members in our branch and it was so fun. I decided that I love painting! 

Then, we had stake conference this weekend which was awesome. It was so powerful and just incredible to be able to listen and understand the talks in Spanish. I loved it!

However there was one thing that happened this week that wasn't so fabulous... Remember that family we are preparing for baptism on the 10th? Well, this week the wife was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (spelling?). It's super serious and causes her a ton of pain. So she is super super sick so it's really difficult to visit and have an official lesson and focus on baptism when they are trying to adjust to this shock. It's been pretty rough and now we aren't sure if they'll be ready by the 10th.... But we just keep on praying for them and being there for them and working with them and I know the Lord will work miracles in their lives and who knows? Maybe they will still make it by the 10th. So that was a bit difficult, but we just keep pushing on!

Thanks for the pics of Chris' homecoming. I'm glad they had fun! Also, thanks so much for the package! You know me all to well with the swedish fish, oreos,and pretzels. :) Thank you! You're the best! And that's so cool that you're memorizing more scriptures! It's so helpful! I haven't done very many myself but I really want to. I know it will help a lot. Thanks for your example to me! :)

Dad- Thank you soooo much for the information about the priesthood! I'm going to study what you sent a bit more and hopefully I'll be able to understand it. Thank you!

Spiritual Thought for the week is another general conference talk by Bishop Gerald Causse. He gives three steps for how we can stay excited and engaged in the gospel. "First, never tire of discovering or rediscovering the truths of the gospel." "Second, anchor your faith in the plain and simple truths of the gospel." "Finally, I invite you to seek and cherish the companionship of the Holy Ghost." There are so many blessings and miracles in our lives each and every day that come from this gospel but all too often we look right past them and take them for granted. But if we can find joy in learning (going to church, reading our scriptures, etc.) and keep our testimonies centered on the basic principles of the gospel we will be stronger Saints of God and will be more sensitive to the Lord's hand in our lives. And as we live worthy for the companionship of the Holy Ghost, we will remember all the Lord has given us and will live everyday with this gratitude and a more eternal perspective. One way to start, would be to get excited for conference in two weeks! :) There is no better way to find joy in the gospel and focus on the basics and feel the Spirit than to listen to the Prophets and Apostles of Christ bear their own firm testimonies of these truths. I want to invite you all in these next to weeks to write down some questions you want answered or guidance/revelation you want to receive and I know you will find your answer in one of the conference sessions. How great is this gospel and the knowledge of our loving Father in Heaven who loves us and has prepared a way for us to become like Him. And how great is the infinite sacrifice of His Son, Jesus Christ that ennables us to overcome every pain, every temptation, every weakness in this life. I know this church is true without a doubt! I'm a Mormon! I know it, I live it, I LOVE it.

I love you all! Have a fantastic week! :) 

--
~Hermana Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment