Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 20, 2015 - Aguas Buenas

Ok, buckle in for a novel! :)

Well, this week has been a roller coaster! Some days were absolutely amazing and we had so much success and were so busy and saw so many miracles, while other days were super dead and no one was home and everything fell through and the entire day was basically just walking. So lots of ups and downs but that doesn't mean I love the mission any less. :)

On Friday, we had a service project in Caguas where we gave out backpacks to kids as they prepare for school to start again. And afterwards we went and ate pizza and sundaes at sam's club. It was super fun! We did it with my whole zone, so that was exciting. :) Dad asked about how big my district and zone is so here's the stats. My area is just me and Hermana Stevens and one companionship of Elders (who happen to be the zone leaders). Then my district has two elder companionships and three hermana comp. including me. My zone... I think there are 6 hermana companionships and 7 elders.... but I'm not quite sure.... Anyways, there are 5 zones in this mission and about a total of 200 missionaries (about 50 hermanas). 

Anyways, then Friday night we had a ward activity where we watched "Meet the Mormons". We had 7 investigators show up! It was a miracle! That was the biggest turn out of investigators this area has ever seen! It was amazing! Such a spiritual experience! 

the couple that we had found (I'll call them A and J) came to the activity and to church again. They love it! We taught them about the plan of salvation and there were some parts that they don't really agree with, but I know if we keep having faith in them and if they keep praying about these things, they will know that they are true. they are so amazing and have so much faith in Christ. I learn so much from them every time we teach them. 

We had one more investigator come to church yesterday. I'll call him J. We found him on Saturday sitting outside of his house and he looked super depressed. We started talking to him and found out that he is 17 and that he has a lot of family problems. So we gave a little overview of the gospel and then invited him to be baptized. It was amazing to see the change in his face as we taught him. You could see his eyes light up and hope fill his heart. It was priceless. He accepted the baptismal invitation and said he would come to church, which he did! He really liked church and one of the members invited him to a Young Men's camping trip this week and he went! I can't wait to talk with him when he gets back because I know this is exactly what he needs and I know it will change his life and bless him in so many ways. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father led us to him. He really is mindful of all His children. 

Also, today is my two month mark and my companions birthday! It's funny because my mission b-day is on her b-day and her mission b-day is on my b-day. It's great! Today has been fabulous as well! We found out a couple days ago that we were going to be getting a mini missionary! So today we drove down to San Juan to pick her up. It was so weird! Aguas Buenas is not americanized at all because it's in the mountains and is mainly campo. So to be in San Juan, in the city, where everything looks the same as it does back home was so weird! Then, we met Hermana Molina who is 17 and will be living the life of a missionary with us for one week. I think it's really cool that they offer these kind of opportunities for the youth. Such a fun experience! We also picked up mail while we were there and I got your letters! Thank you for them! Also, the primary class with Preston Osborne and Emma Casper wrote letters to me and it was so sweet to see their pictures and read their letters. Tell them thanks for me! Then, because it's Hermana Steven's b-day we went to McDonald's for lunch and then got some frozen yogurt. It was the best. :) i'm so excited to have a mini missionary with us this week and I know it will bring more miracles to this area because of her drive and desire to work. 

I absolutely love this area! It is so beautiful! So many trees and plants and every is always outside so we talk to so many people, I just love it! I experienced my first rain storm and it was awesome! It just rains buckets here. Umbrellas basically only keep our hair and faces dry and the rest of us is just soaked all the way through. The streets become rivers and we basically swim to all of our appointments. It's fun! I love the rain! :) But it's too much of a hassel to carry a jacket so I don't think I'll want a raincoat, but thanks anyways!

I don't have time to respond to everyone's personal email so I'm going to through it all in this email...

Dad-.....wow...... like 10 emails just from you today.... bendito. :) I was wondering why you hadn't emailed me yet. :) Thanks for all your spiritual thoughts though! 

Nathan- congrats on the Amazon card! You must have a lot of luck! :)

Heidi- thanks for the email!

Christopher- yes, I held a snake and yes it crawled all over my arms and yes I was scared and yes it was awesome and no I will never do it again. :)

Amelia- Love you!

The family reunion looked like so much fun! What a blast! I'm glad you guys loved it! And Mark came? That's awesome! Loving the beards too of John and Todd.... Also, Heidi looks gorgeous in that picture of the teenagers on the deck.

Well, one of my favorite stories that I studied a lot this week is at the end of 3 Nephi 14 about the foolish man and the wise man. I love that it says that those who build their houses on a rock are those who act on the Savior's teachings. The biggest problem here in Aguas Buenas is that people say they will do things, but they never actually do them. It's so difficult getting people to keep their commitments here and that's what's hindering their progress and that's why it's so hard to get baptisms here. When people don't act on what we teach them, they easily fall away again and never strenghten their testimony even if they knew it was true at one point. But I know if we endure to the end and actually act in faith and actively follow Christ, we will have solid foundations and we will be able to withstand until the end. Apply what you learn at church, in the scriptures, etc. Never stop trying, never give up, and do everything you can to build a firm foundation on Christ. Because on this foundation, you will NEVER fall (Helaman 5:12).

I love you all so much! Talk to you next week! 

--
~Hermana Allan

sorry, no time for pics this week, but I'll be sure to send them next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment