Monday, July 13, 2015

June 18, 2015 (MTC)

Plan of Salvation Sister Allan made to help teach her investigators

Sisters Allan and Jacobsen

Small District

Can't get enough of the temple selfies :)
Hola! I can't believe I only have a week and a half left! It's crazy! I have a bunch to say today, (like always) so let's get started:

First, I got to go contacting again last Friday. It was so good! The first time we went we had 10 extra pamphlets left over because we ran out of time. We felt a bit disappointed because the elders had given away all of them. But this time we gave away all of those 10 and the new ones that we had been given for that week. I don't think we were supposed to give them all out last time, because I felt like there were more people this time who were ready to hear about the gospel, and because we had 10 extra, we were able to talk to all of them. Heavenly Father knew there would be more people for us this second time so he helped us have more pamphlets to give out so we could talk to more people. It was a really neat experience! 

This Sunday, I taught the Sunday School lesson about charity. It was all in English which was really nice. But I actually shared that scripture that you shared with me mom in 1 Nephi 19:9. Christ was the greatest example of charity and I loved reading all about it this week. I haven't really had a calm Sunday since the first one, because the second one, I played a musical number, the third one, I gave a talk, and this past one, I taught a lesson. It's been fun though! I love Sundays. They are one of my favorite days!

Something I forgot to mention is that on Monday nights, instead of teaching our usual night investigator, we teach a senior couple, (basically like FHE). We teach in Spanish and basically just have Family night with them. Hermana Jacobsen and I teach the Gardners. They are so nice! Elder Gardner is blind and mostly deaf, but he has such an enormous spirit and always makes me feel so good everyone time we talk with him. I love Monday nights with them!

So we had three Haitians here for 2 weeks. They were so funny! It was hard to talk with them since they only spoke French and Creole, but we still had so much fun. Haitians have very flirtatious personalities, so we had some kind of awkward, but super funny moments. It was great! :) But they just left on Tuesday, and then we got 8 new missionaries yesterday (3 hermanas). They are the Latinos that are headed to Puerto Rico with my district. I'm so grateful that they are here, because I know that talking to them will help my Spanish get a lot better. It was hard to speak Spanish before, because there weren't any missionaries here that knew more Spanish than me because they were all the newbies, so we had to talk in English most of the time to understand each other. So I'm super excited to work on my Spanish even more now with the Latinos here!

By the way mom, thanks for making me bring a blanket with me. I use it every night, and I'm usually still freezing when I wake up. So thanks! :) 

I have learned so much in this past month here. I'm so much more comfortable with making mistakes. Back home, I tried so hard to not mess up in front of people and so I never did things that I wasn't good at and I never tried new things, and just got stuck in my comfort bubble. But since being here, I'm so much more confident and am totally fine making mistakes in front of people (because I do it all the time now!). But it really just makes everything so much easier. I love what I'm learning and what I'm becoming. 

Yesterday, we got the chance to go on Family Search for a little bit. Usually when I would go on Family Search I would only search for the names that needed temple work done. But this time, I decided to read some of the stories that people had uploaded to the names. I read stories about Nellie Molly Murphy, Lars (I think that was his name) Johnson and lots of stories from our pioneer ancestors. I started crying as I was reading those stories, because I just felt so much love for them and for their sacrifices in following the Lord. Because of them and their faith, we have the gospel in our lives today. This gospel has blessed my life in so many ways, I don't know what I would do without it. I'm so grateful for what they've done and for their love for the Lord. It was the coolest experience, and I felt the Spirit so strongly. I was so sad when time was up and we had to leave. I probably could have spent hours upon hours reading their stories! I also found a cool scripture about family history work this morning in Helaman 5:6-7 (the last half of verse 6). I love how it says that because they worked so hard to give us a good life centered on the gospel, we need to try to live up to their name. I love that, and I'm going to try so hard to so my gratitude for them for their sacrifices. I love Family History!

I've all of a sudden developed a love for my personal study time too. This may sound a bit weird, but I crave study time now. And the 2 hours we get in the mornings for study, is never enough. I love being completely absorbed and immersed in this gospel and learning so much. Also, I think one of the best decisions I made before I left, was to buy a new set of scriptures. Every day, I'm just so excited to read them and find a new passage to mark up and to learn from. It's like a treasure hunt. It's just so excited and the reward at the end is knowledge of my Savior and His gospel, and I can't think of anything better that I would want to have. I love this gospel with all of my heart and can't wait to share what I know with the people in Puerto Rico!

We are leaving for Puerto Rico super early on June 30. About a week and a half. Crazy! 

So, as if contacting wasn't scary enough, we are going on splits with the sister missionaries here for 8 hours tomorrow! I'm so nervous, but I know it will be a good experience. Wish me luck!

How are your finals going? I've been praying for you every day and I know the Lord will bless you because of how hard you work at each assignment. I hope it all goes well!

I love and miss you guys so so much!!!! Thanks for always supporting me in everything and for always being there for me! Thank you for raising me in the gospel and helping me have this amazing experience. I love you all!!!!!

~Hermana Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment