Friday, July 22, 2016

June 6, 2016 - I found Zion!

Sister Allan was able to see Sister Jacobsen, her MTC companion

I guess they ran out of sunblock??? :(

First sunday together as companions. Sisters Helmick and Allan

Happy to be companions!


Hello family! Thank you all so much for your emails this week! I felt the Spirit so strongly as I read them and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and love for each and every one of you. I love you so much and I'm so grateful that we can be together for eternity! :)

This week was a roller coaster of emotions, but in the end, it was really good. :) Monday was soooo hard. I decided that I really hate goodbyes. We went and said goodbye to A. the recent convert and we were just bawling. It was rough.... but I'm grateful that he has gained such a strong testimony of the gospel and that he has the determination to keep pushing on. 

And can I just say, I absolutely LOVE Guayama! It's the best!!! It's funny because I went from Aguas Buenas which has nothing, to Cabo Rojo which has a little bit more, and now Guayama which is basically just like the states. Guayama is huge and we live right next to a mall! And the ward is incredible. The members are super willing to come with us in lessons and they actually fulfill their callings and do their home and visiting teaching, it's incredible.  I feel so blessed to be here in Guayama. I don't know what i did to deserve this, but I'm super excited to be able to work here. The only problem is that they haven't had baptisms here for a really long time.... but we've already made quite a few changes so I think we'll be able to start having more baptisms. And I quickly found out why all the missionaries gain weight here. We eat with members every lunch and dinner! Just imagine a large plate full of rice, beans, and fried meat twice a day.... We're trying to change that though because sometimes it seems like it's getting in the way with our proselyting so hopefully we can minimize it a bit. But I really do just love this area! :)

And my companion is wonderful!!!! She's from Virginia and this is her last transfer in the mission. We were at BYU at the same time but she only did one semester and then left on her mission. We get along really well and I'm super excited for this transfer with her! 

We're teaching a mom named E. and her daughter N. and they are so cute! They've had a TON of problems this week but everytime we ask them how they're doing the little girl says "thanks to the comfort of the Book of Mormon, we're feeling better." How cute is that? :) They found them right before transfers so they've only known missionaries for a week but they already love it and are progressing so much. But Satan is definitely attacking them because they've had so many family issues and I know that's going to hinder their progress a bit... Many prayers for them would be much appreciated! :) 

Also, we're teaching a man named H. He really likes learning about the gospel but has never been to sure about baptism. But the best part is that HE CAME TO CHURCH!!!! YAY!!! And he loved it! :) And after church we called him and asked him how it was and he said "I know I need to be baptized and I'm going to be. I just need to prepare myself first, but I will be baptized." It was incredible. The bad part is that he wants a lot of time to "be prepared" but at least he has the desire now. It was such a miracle! 

Church was wonderful and I'm super grateful because once again, I'm the only one in the ward that can play the piano. I'm so grateful that the Lord is giving me so many opportunities to share my talents and help others feel the Spirit through music. :)

On Wednesday, because I am the only new STL this transfer, Hermana Boucher came over and gave me my own personal STL training. But it was really super nice and I'm super excited to be able to work with the sisters in the zone. I've been fighting lots of feelings of inadequacy and anxiety this week but I've also learned a ton to help me with this. One day I was feeling super stressed so I opened my "Adjusting to Missionary life" book and the first thing I read was "You represent Jesus Christ, not yourself." I had gotten too focused on my own weaknesses and had forgotten what I'm here to do. Yes, I know I'm inadequate, but the Lord has called me and has given me the Holy Ghost to be able to do all that He needs me to do. It stresses me out getting to know so many people and knowing that I'm going to have to teach the entire zone at zone meetings, because I don't have a very outgoing, social personality or very good public speaking skills, but I know that that's not what's important. What makes a good leader is if they have the Spirit with them and if they follow the impressions they receive. I know the Lord will help me with this and I'm super excited for all that He is going to teach me and who I'm going to become through this opportunity as STL. 

Also I wanted to share this scripture with you guys: 2 Nephi 28:24 that says "Wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" I really like this because we must never get too content with where we are in life. There is always something more we can learn and do and we need to be working hard every single day to continue learning and growing and becoming more like our Savior. Make an effort to learn something new each day and then after some time you'll be able to look back and see how far you've come and how your small learning experiences have turned into a large change in the way you live and in who you are and you will be much happier! Keep going and keep progressing! Never stop! :) 

Congratulations Christopher on going through the temple!!!!! And I can't wait to see all the wedding pictures next week! Please send me all! :) Thanks for sending me the invitation! It's so stinking cute. And to answer your question mom, yes we can wear maxi skirts now! I don't really remember which ones I left at home but maybe if you think they're cute and that I would be able to use them I guess you could send them. Either way is good. Another good thing about being here in Guayama is that there are 4 sisters so I have lots of people to borrow clothes from. :) 

I love you all so so very much and I hope you have so much fun with the wedding and everything this week! You'll be in my prayers! Love you so much! 

--
~Hermana Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment